Vegan food doesn’t have to be difficult or a chore to make, and for the final part of our Veganuary series, I present Crispy Chilli Tofu Noodles. The perfect mixture of spicy, crunchy tanginess that is perfect and quick to whip up. Definitely a filler food in my house but it doesn’t compromise taste or texture and makes your tofu that bit more delicious.
If you wanted to save some money, you could easily swap out the noodles for instant ramen, just make sure you add the chilli. I recommend using a good quality chilli sauce, you can normally buy these from your local Cantonese store, you can really taste the difference.
If you can’t find extra firm tofu, you can turn your regular block into firm by placing it between two tea towels and pressing with a weight, until the excess water is drained. But be warned, don’t leave it for too long, otherwise the crumb coat will not stick, leaving you with a dry mess.
INGREDIENTS (for two):
- 2 Cloves of Garlic diced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger diced
- 1 pack extra firm tofu sliced into small chunks
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic flakes
- 3 tablespoons sweet chilli
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- A sprinkle of dried chilli flakes
- 2 spring onions
- Sesame oil for cooking
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- One carrot diced small.
- 2 portions of egg-free noodles
- Mix the nutritional yeast, flour and dried garlic on a plate. Coat all chunks of tofu until coated on all sides.
- In a hot pan, fry the tofu in the sesame oil until brown and crispy, transfer onto a baking dish.
- In a separate pan, fry the garlic cloves, chilli flakes, ginger and carrot, in the sesame oil until tender. Cook your noodles.
- Put your tofu under your grill to crispen and make hot. Add your chilli sauce, soy sauce, sesame seeds and spring onions to your pan. Stir in your cooked noodles and coat in the mixture until combined.
- Serve with your tofu on top and an extra splash of soy sauce and you have a delicious, quick and easy meal to add to your culinary arsenal.