Nutella has been a love of mine since I first persuaded my mother to buy me a jar from the store. But, there is more to Nutella than just smothering it rapidly on toast as you are running late for the bus.
Here are five ways to use up that jar and get the most out of your Nutella on World Nutella day. For good measure we’ve included a recipe at the end, so you can make your own jar from home, that is nutty, chocolatey and will make you never want to purchase a jar again.
- Pancakes or Waffles
This one seems self-explanatory, but Nutella makes the perfect topping for your pancakes if you are yet to try it. Place a little on the edge and watch it melt into your pancakes/waffles to replace melted chocolate. Personally, I like to serve with berries and a hot mug of coffee, the best breakfast to set your morning off in the best light.
2. Hot chocolate
You can actually add a spoonful to your hot chocolate to make it that bit extra rich. Add alongside your powder or add a spoonful to hot milk and watch it melt together in perfect harmony.
3. Mug Cakes
This one really takes the biscuit. Sometimes, nothing is better than making a mug cake, and what better way than to add a spoonful to your cake batter, before cooking to make it have a gooey, irresistible centre that is both smooth and rich. It’s never been more perfect for an easy, weekend dessert for those nights when you need an extra delicious bowl of chocolate goodness.
4. Grilled Banana Sandwich
Here me out, this definitely not an everyday breakfast, but one for the chocolate lovers out there. Toast your bread, smother in Nutella and layer on slices of banana, and grill on high heat for 1-2 minutes until toasted through. Super delicious, and a good treat especially if you are a banana chocolate fan.
5. Stuffed Croissants
A quick and easy breakfast for a family on the go. Grab one of those pop tin croissant tins, and before you roll out your pastry, put a thin layer of Nutella and roll until covered. Honestly, so quick, easy and you end up with a gooey, melt in the mouth chocolate pastry, that will go down a treat, and is beyond quick to make.
Easy Way to make your own jar:
Nutella isn’t the most sustainable brand to work with however, despite its deliciousness. This is due to the heavy critiques around the use of palm oil in products, due to its hazardous environmental impact. But here is a recipe on how you can make your own Nutella from scratch.
Don’t get me wrong, no recipe can beat that jar that sits in the supermarket, but this recipe is delicious, nutty, chocolatey and provides a good, environmentally conscious alternative to the jars in the shop.
- 140 g Hazelnuts
- 175g Milk Chocolate
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180c.
- Cook your hazelnuts for 10 minutes, or until slightly browned and skins are loose.
- Once cooked, transport your nuts into a contained and shake to remove excess skins, discard the skins. Some bits will stay on, but don’t worry too much, this is natural and always going to happen.
- Melt your chocolate until smooth.
- Put the hazelnuts, oil, cocoa, vanilla and caster sugar into a blender, and blend until smooth. Add your chocolate and blend again.
- Strain using a sieve if you want your Nutella to be ultra-smooth. Or if you don’t mind it a little textured, leave it. Put in an airtight container, and it will keep for around two weeks in the fridge, if it can last that long!